Monday, September 14, 2009

Hobbies: Past and Present

A first time for everything and a first time to be heard. Many before me have gone this way, and I am sure many after will be here when I'm gone. I am glad to be here now.


So many years after college, and indeed dance, I have finally found a new way to pass the hours of boredom and solitude. Movement not always an option now, I have done much to quell the desire to run around as I would like, such as: Learned to play one song on the guitar, read every book I could get my hands on, learned how to say "Hello how are you?" in fifty six different languages(the native phrase for each of the people I knew at work), learned for the first time ever how to knit-did several dishrags before deciding that I hate knitting(how bizarre is it that I love doilies), learned to draw
floor plans properly; love architecture and drawing castles(and thus have several floor plans tucked in the archives), finally had two precious children after much trial and error, dress up said children in as much pink lace and satin as I can find(Lucky for them they're girls ;D), donate much of household stuff every month(I honestly don't know where the Cinderella statue, or that full wardrobe came from), collect water globes(they just show up now), painfully watch children break said water globes, try new workouts-Tybo, Pilate's, belly dancing (last great for killer abs, btw), clean house, watch husband dirty said house, clean again, rinse and repeat, cart children to and from school, volunteer at said school, and everything else required for such children, go to church and donate every Sunday, sing in choir when I can(not bad, not good, but appreciated), sing at home to myself(when hubby isn't working on his own laptop right next to me), gone bungee jumping, skiing(water and snow; was pretty good at both), and decided I wasn't brave enough for sky diving. I have also done many other various things I can come up with, needed or otherwise.

Point being: after a
thorough search into what is out there, I have now found a wonderful alternative to the dancing I miss. I am a writer. It is who I am no matter how new I am to it. Poetry and short stories forgotten when I could dance, I never took my hand to real stories, and I am excited to say I have finished my first novel. It actually surprised me. I am not only a great writer(promised me by more than just my book-loving mom), but I have found that I enjoy writing immensely. It is my new favorite thing to do (along with drawing those castle floor plans I dream to live in one of these days).

I am also a dreamer. I always have been and I always will be. I am not adverse to learning something new(as noted by the guitar song and knitting and bungee jumping). I am glad to find that, after experimenting, I have found the one thing that really speaks to me. I also love editing. It is fun to go through what I have written and pick it apart to find new ways to express how the characters are feeling or what they are doing. I get a thrill and wonderful chill
every time a scene does exactly what I think it should do. And yes, sometimes I grin verbally (a short squeal of excitement). I just can't contain my joy at seeing the words mesh cohesively.

My book is finally done. I have let my
English major friends pick it apart and fixed what I thought was appropriate(not everything mind you, writing is an art that should stay true to the author). They agree with how I left it and like what I improved upon. My greatest joy was when someone who does not particularly like me admitted with reluctance that I have talent, and that she is quite impressed with the story(she has great talent herself in writing, so her opinion is valid to me). We will not reconcile our differences(honestly we never saw eye to eye), but she admits to having respect for my writing talent. Big goosebumps and wide smile.

I now have only the task of querying my precious piece. I have started writing a second book to take up
some more of my time(I do not like watching TV so I have to have something to do while my husband watches his 'unwind' movie before bed). There is an agent that will want to represent this just so they can make as much money off of it as they can. I am okay with that as I am hoping to profit, too. But my book really is wonderful. Humor I miss in everyday life has found it to these pages. Though it really is more urban fantasy meets paranormal romance. But why not laugh along the way? Romance and evil villains can be funny; can't they? Maybe not the evil villain part(that word always makes me want to get a mustache just so I can twirl it), but certainly an awkward romance by two people who are definitely new to the game can be played as funny.

Well that's it for today. Here I am. And here I will be every week day.

Question: How many languages can you say 'Hello' in? Just off the top off your head, and no cheating.

9 comments:

  1. I love it! Keep writing i can't wait to read the next one you write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!!! Keep up the great work!! Can't wait for the next one! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started to read...and Rory started to snore! so I'll just ingoing Rory's comments... good job! looks grate..but cause i am dyslexic and i have a SHORT attention span, can we go a a little shorter??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys!
    And I do like to gab, Kimi! LOL poor Rory! Nap time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So how many languages can you say hello in???

    ReplyDelete
  6. And with that, Ronald, I have my next thread! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sure you will do great and use that creative mind of yours to get another book started!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what's the chance that we can see a chapter of your book, a teaser, or a summary for the first and then the second novel?

    How many do you have planned for your series? Did I hear 4, 7?

    Do you plan to write any stand alone novels?

    You do have a gift for words.

    As a book lover, may I suggest you never 'rush' the end of a good story. Like a very delicious meal followed by an exquisite desert, draw the ending out so it will taste as good as the story did and leave the reader satisfied, and willing to visit the story again and again.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa, as requested I have posted a blurb for my book on another entry. I hope it has a plot worthy of your interest.

    And I have four or five planned for the series... for now. It started out as three, but i just had so much I wanted to do. We will see what happens.

    I have two ideas for stand alone novels. Both are young adult, 11-17 year old genre fantasy fiction. Very young, so not so much romance as the one I am currently doing. When I need fresh eyes for the jeweled series, I take a week to hash out the summary and what each of the creatures can do. Lots of fun!!! Mixes up the tedium of reading the same scenes over and over again. I love it!!!

    I do not think the end of my novel is rushed. It is actually the opposite. The mc's relax as they come to terms with the unexpected results from the last conflict they faced together. Interesting results... with even better consequences!

    Thanks for reading and commenting everyone! This was great that you could come read this. I will post everyday if I can! Luvs!

    ReplyDelete