Friday, October 9, 2009

Playing in the rain!

It's raining, it's pouring none of us are snoring. It's after eight, we'll stay up late and sleep in in the morning!

Being from Arizona, or living there most of my life, I have a healthy love of the very wet rain. When it falls, when it spritzes, when it pours and when it lets you walk through it (clouds are very wet!) I get excited! Everywhere outside my house is covered in white fluffy clouds. AND it is raining still! Umbrellas don't always help when you walk into the floating droplets!

On rainy days it is a good idea to have activities for the young ones so they don't drive the parents crazy. In our front yard, just past the porch, we set up a tent. The tent has a water proof bottom so the water can flood outside of it up about four inches. Inside it's snug as a bug in a rug!

My girls take half the house out there. Coloring books, puzzles, barbies, ponies; you name it and if it isn't dress up it's out there! I send out snacks a spill-proof drinks when they get hungry, and then cram inside with them when a board game goes out. We have TONS of fun together!

Rainstorms are also nice for my migraines. The pressure changes so often I am in severe pain from it up here, but when that rain finally falls it is pleasant relief! I am happier, and the kids see that. I wish it would rain everyday!

Time for another dip in my very large swimming pool! *heads out door and grins*

Do any of you like the rain? What is your favorite weathery day? Is it all about the sun and the warmth of those perfect dry days? Let me know!

..........

3 comments:

  1. I grew up in Idaho, loved the season changes. Loved the fall colors, the first snow, the snowball fights, games, building snowmen. There was always so much to do. The spring and summer were mild and we could stay out late, playing tag, chasing fireflies, and june bugs. Being a child I thought there were season changes everywhere in the world.

    Then I visited Hawaii and fell in love with the constant temperature. The moisture in the air, I did not have to use hand lotion.

    Then I visited WA state and fell in love with all the rain, rivers, waterfalls, greenery.

    Then I lived in CA and fell in love with the milder season changes. No snow unless you drove to it. W.A.R.M. rain. My favorite time of year in CA was Feb-April. It rained and the flowers came out in force. Everywhere smelled like a flower garden in bloom. The parking lots rained flower petals.

    Then I lived in Florida and fell in love with the winds and the year round warmth. The humidity meant no need of hand lotion, though I did tire of the too cold indoors and too hot outside.

    Now I live in AZ and I hate the hot summers, the lack of rain, the lack of wind, the lack of more seasonal changes. Where are all the flowers?

    As we move into the winter months for this area, I rejoice in the cooler weather. I know it won't last long enough, so I try to enjoy it while I can.

    My dream is to live in Colorado in the summer time and AZ in the winter time. Or better yet, live in my motor home and follow the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dare to dream... and I love the motor home comment. My parents had lots of friends that did that and some brought tons of fish from Alaska!

    Now I want to move to Washington. I love rain! And then the warm rain in CA. I miss that about AZ. There were a few months of warm rain.

    Rain is too cold here. But the colors and petals and greenery are in their seasons throughout the year. That is nice!

    Thanks MonaLisa. I love your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love the rain!!! I was lucky to live in San Jose for almost 9 years and the rain there was amazing!!!! It is the best when there is a fire in the fire place and you can curl up with a blanket, the person of your choice, a favorite snack, and a good movie. When it rains here in orange county it can be really nice too, but it does not rain as much.

    ReplyDelete