Tuesday, October 6, 2009

These friends always call first. ^ Aren't they pretty!
I think I have mixed feelings about uninvited guests. I love to have people over and I enjoy their company. They always have fascinating stories to tell and fun anecdotes about life. I usually like the people who stop by.

But I am not the most organized person in the world, and sometimes I wish they would have called and asked at least an hour before so I could 'stash' the things that would bother me to have out. Some people have kids, so I would like to make sure the porcelain and water globes and fragile candles were out of the way. Others want to have meals, so I would like the dishwasher to be loaded even if there really was only two or three things in the sink.

On other days I just feel terrible, and I wish I could have been warned to put on something a little better than my comfiest outfit. No one wants to see the pajama bottoms I lounge in when I'm in pain! And please don't make me try to climb those stairs to change when I can barely keep lunch down!

I was okay yesterday. The house wasn't where I like it to be, but thankfully she brought her three kids. And while they were hungry, they were all content, actually requested to just run around my enormous front yard. An acre or so, they were happy with the space provided and the crackers and cheerios I procured for their cute little tummies. Satisfied guests are always my favorite ones.

When they show up I even start out with mixed feeling. I am honored that they consider me close enough to do that. I am horrified that I have no time to get ready. Honestly the house is usually in great shape. Ask my mom, she actually complimented it to my siblings recently. Made me happy!

But I feel like I was given no time to prepare myself. What if it had been an awful day? I probably would have cut the visit short. Which makes me sad because I do want to chat and I don't want to hurt their feeling or make them feel like I don't like them. I love them! All of them! There are great people up here!

If life was perfect, and health fantastic, and houses self-cleaning, I wouldn't be so put off to the open door policy I wish to continuously put forth and pretend to have. My mom has one. She seems to handle it well. I envy that about her.

Like I said, I'm kinda on the fence. I do sot see their unannounced arrival as rude, or enjoy having my life halted unexpectedly. Perhaps I am too finicky. I hope they don't take it personally if I don't invite them in on those really awful days. Oh well.

..................

3 comments:

  1. clever post! I do have to admit I love the stop by friends even with the panic that goes through me as I look at my house, hair, front porch! The call ahead friends are great too - I just like friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. at least YOU can keep your house clean. i can't. mmmm today i shall throw sleepy sand i am so sleepy... *throws sand and falls a sleep yes on the key board*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always flattered and thrilled when friends drop in unannounced. I like the spontaneous ones. In fact, I don't think anyone calls first before they drop in ... except for visiting teachers.

    I'm a spontaneous drop in kind of person and only call if I know the 'victim' prefers a call first.

    We often have large gatherings at my home, so it seems I always have snacks on hand and entertainment, no matter what the age of the visitors.

    I insist on a clean house at all times. It's not spotless clean, but I rarely panic if someone drops in. We have a rule here, if you are done with it, put it away. Do not leave things lying around, they will disapear if you do not take care of them yourself.

    I'm a bit of an organized OCD person, everything has a place and everything in it's place. With young ones, I was a stay at home mom and managed to keep the house picked up. It is the way I was raised. Do some of the work all week so you don't spend all day Saturday cleaning house. My husband was raised the same way. This way we keep Saturdays open for family play time or yard work. Some times I do the deep cleaning on Saturday, but usually not.

    Life is too short to panic over a messy house.

    ReplyDelete