Thursday, October 22, 2009

http://www.officially-dead.com/
Beware!

I am on the activities committee for my ward and have the privilege of decorating for the church trunk or treat and chili cook off. I am quite excited.

Usually we have booths that we go around and earn candy and have a small meal before getting more candy out of elaborately decorated mini vans in the parking lot afterwards. This has worked for many years.

This year my partner in crime for ward party planning has decided not to do the booths under the pretense that we don't need to sugar the kids out. The kids really didn't like the booths the other years, so this is okay with me.

Instead we are focusing on the chili cook off as the main event and doing round tables decorated with the posh center pieces that basically take up most of my basement all year. I am doing cartwheels in the excitement that they will be used. I have a small place and most of my decorations end up staying in the basement even this time of year. Now they will be pulled out in all their glory and shared with hundreds of people at an event befitting their spooky decor.

The whole cultural hall will be transformed in to a 'happy' haunted house. My partner even hes the great idea of hanging fishing wire from one end to the other to hand lights above the guests gathered. It will be very pretty.

I will be printing out haunting songs to sing and there will be several prizes for the chili; hottest, sweetest, tastiest, lumpiest, scariest, etc. After which we will still wander outside for the trunk or treating in our various costumes. The kids will have candy, just not gobs of it.

The cost for my many decorations total somewhere in the thousands and I am pleased that our event will be so well covered. It won't be bad for a humble church gathering.

Beware of fantastic decor and delicious food!

......................

1 comment:

  1. So when it's all said and done, be sure to blog how it went. Were the decorations a success? Was the haunted house theme fun? Did the kids enjoy the new layout? Was the chili a rip roaring hit? What part was your favorite? After retiring your decorations back to the basement, so you still have room for the girls to run and play in the basement?

    ReplyDelete