Wednesday, October 28, 2009


I'm committed to letting you know I still care.
No matter the distance: time or space.

Old rhyming songs we used to sing when we were younger were fun. There are many that followed me through to adulthood. Let me sing one in particular for you right now... I'm sure you remember it:

Make new friends, make new friends.

But keep the old.

One is silver and the others are gold!

Over the years people fall in and out of touch. There are many reasons I believe this happen, but my favorite is this:

Some people are in your life some of the time. Some people are in your life all the time. But whatever the reason they pass into your existence, I believe that there is a meaning behind the acquaintance; however brief. They need you for that amount of time they share with you. Perhaps sometimes you need them back. But I choose to know that it is not coincidence that they are there.

Friends everywhere have told me how important I am to them and their lives. Sometimes we have spent time apart after developing our friendships, but many have found their way back and declared how wonderful it was to have me around. It baffles me, but at the same times makes me happy to hear it. (Though I cannot be as cool as they say I am.) They have been so important to me in my life, it is hard to see them seeing the same thing from me in theirs.

I recently got in touch with several friends I knew way back when. I missed many of them very much. I am glad to hear from them again. There are those that are truly gold. Many silvers I knew and know, but the golds had me really sad to think of all those years away. I know they feel exactly the same. That just makes our reunion that much sweeter.

It makes me wonder what we have in store for each other in the present. Can our friendship get back to that old flame of great brightness? Are we able to do that? Or have we changed so much that it will be a simpler friendship? Commonplace and just recent events spoken in brief passing? Can we truly have the real, meaningful, heartfelt conversations like in days long past?

Only time will tell, but I am excited to find out. Friends and Family mean so much to me. I am truly blessed with such a large treasure trove of precious spirits around me.

To everyone out there that now considers me a friend or ever did consider me a friend; know that I love you and I feel blessed to know you now and back then. I will always keep a special place open in my heart that is and always will be just for you. After all, a heart can just keep growing, and mine has grown around you, enveloping you in the many chambers and rooms that I open up as I meet others. That place that you helped me create will always be there. It is, and will forever be yours. So believe me when I say that you are a part of my heart. You truly are.

Whether that room multiplies is up to us, though. I'm willing to do a little remodeling to add chambers for the new things we bond over.

Are you?

Please remember, if you aren't that's okay too. You will always have your place within. Just in case. ;)

...................

2 comments:

  1. I like the comparison that friends are the threads in our lives. Some are gold as you say, some are silver. Some travel in our lives a long time, others for shorter distances, and some come and go and come again. All are friends, doesn't matter if we have daily contact or not. They touched a place in the heart and they left foot prints in our lives and their memories (threads) are part of us and who we are.

    Interesting thought provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mona Lisa. Your comments are always gold to me. Thank you for them too.

    And anyone else out there, I would like to see your comments too!

    ReplyDelete