Monday, October 12, 2009

And the cold sets in.

Yesterday was mildly chilly. Today we woke up to find the thermostat at forty-eight degrees. Brrr and very chilly, winter is here.

Sure the ground may be bare and the leaves on the trees may be vibrant in oranges, reds, and yellows, but I think that impatient winter dropped by in the night to remind us he was on its way. And it most definitely is.

I am sure we will have a warmer week next week and that it may last until Halloween, but the frigid temperature does more than make me groan. Indeed, it makes me happy as well.

With the start of winter brings sparkly lights and singing choirs and smiles from strangers. The smell of evergreen, spiced pumpkin, and vanilla cookies greet you in every room. Bright colors, crisp apple pies, and an all around good feeling really put me in the best of moods.

And moods are very contagious. I love how people's hearts open up this time of year. It makes the food and clothing drives very profitable and I always feel better when the totes to the shelters get wide eyes and thankful tears. I am blessed that I can be if but a very small part of that. I don't deserve all that I have and I really need to be able to share, even if it is just my time this year. But hand-me-downs are always in great shape and my girls will be the ones giving what they have this time. I am grateful they can learn why people are so happy this time of year. They know of course that this feeling can be felt all year as last June we also donated. Luckily my kids grow like weeds.

I love the turns of the seasons. God really knew what he was doing to mix up the weather a bit. It keeps us from taking things for granted.


Of course I think He was incredibly smart to give us neighbors friends and family, too. Where would I be without people? Not very happy. Not that I'm the social butterfly I was way back when, but people make me smile. And laugh and cry and feel sad, but it's the gems that I speak about. You know who you are. Thanks.

As you pull out those jackets and boots and mittens and scarves remember that there is more to this time of year than losing a few toes. It is a time when the warmth retreats to hearts. Open yours and you will be amazed. If it is already, then you know exactly what I mean. And I salute you.

As the cold sets in my heart will remain warm.

...........

3 comments:

  1. Here in AZ we are thankful the weather is finally cool enough to open the windows and shut off the AC. The furnace is not needed yet, and currently we have to dress in layers.

    When we first get up, it's in the high 50's or low 60's then it climbs to the high 80's or into the 90's. Around 5 or 6pm it cools off and you reach for a light jacket.

    I look forward to the colder weather when the windows are open and we have to wear sweatshirts and shoes and socks. I love curling up to watch TV at night with a warm blanket. I love sleeping in a cold room with a warm down comforter. I love soaking in a hot tub at night when the kids are in bed.

    I wish it would get cold enough to have a fire in our fire place every night for at least 3 months. But we are lucky if it gets cold enough for 3 fires all year long. sigh

    I love the winter months in AZ, I just wish they lasted longer then the summer months.

    I wish the city did more decorations for the holidays too. I remember tons of lights and decorations growing up in ID ... not so here in AZ. I remember decorations galore in CA and FL, not here in AZ.

    I have always loved the Christmas season and the love that everyone seems to have. I love it so much I planned my first wedding for late December and you know what? it bombed. Very few showed up, the streets were closed with snow, people were burned out with all the holiday rush and my wedding was almost overlooked.

    Now that I am older, I feel pulled in too many directions. Too many organizations are asking for hand outs, too many people want to do parties and gift exchanges. I try too hard to do too much and am stretched too thin. There isn't time or money to do all I wish to do. So I have gotten fussy, and have to put on a tough skin and look the other way and pick and choose the things I can afford to do during the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons.

    I will tell you this, our best holidays have been the ones when we were broke and could not go shopping at all. We had to turn inward, we decorated for the spirit of Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas. There was no commercial pressure to shop. I must say without a doubt, those were the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. That's where I am; broke and out of work. I hope I remember your lesson and take the spirit of the season with me when I'm a famous author!

    Thank you for the lesson MonaLisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *throws Leaves* HA to remind you that we must never forget fall... *throws more leaves*

    Sings: Fall fall fall fall fall faaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!

    (did i read it? no i skimmed it and then baby started to cry so tying with 1 hand...BYE)

    ReplyDelete