Sunday, October 11, 2009



I pulled out a few of my Halloween decorations today. The ants in the basement are still dead so the stuff is working. Luckily the bulbs in my giant kitty and ghost pumpkin set still work too. They are beautiful accents to my front porch right now.

I love decorating. It's so much fun to rearrange my house every month or so. My hubby indulges me and will even move the furniture sometimes. I can't move everything, that entertainment center is pretty much a part of the wall now, but couches, chairs, end tables and lamps are shuffled periodically according to my whim.

Some people call it feng shui. I call it a refreshing view. Either way the house is happier when I can make the tiny box a little less tediously familiar. Though our stuff is the same, so it is just familiar enough to be comforting.

As my birthday approaches more things will be creeping out of the basement for the delight of the neighborhood. Smiles will be shared and screeches enjoyed with each new character and silly spider. I wish there were more holidays than just the ones this time of year. But I know why people decorate more in the winter now that I've moved up here. It is cold and when you have four walls to look at, they get splattered! Also, who wants to stay indoors when the weather is fair and perfect? Not me.

So as the birds flock south and the air nips my nose be sure that there will be a smile on my face. After Halloween is Thanksgiving after all. And then Christmas and... well you get the picture. My fourth of July stuff will work for president's day, too. I do so enjoy decorating.

I know it is against the grain, but even with my fortunate birthday, Christmas is my favorite holiday to decorate for. Indeed the collection for my house is insane. Luckily most of it was free. I did have my brother-in-law buy Christmas tree lights for us one year out of my own pocket (he was very kind to run errands for the pregnant sil when her husband was in the navy), but most things were presents; even our tree was a gift (thanks fairy godmother M!).

I think I just remembered where the talking skull head is. I'm off for its retrieval and then hanging. Only on Halloween is a 'hanging' accepted!

Happy Decorating!

.............................

3 comments:

  1. I don't have enough patience to decorate for anything but Christmas. And even then the boys are responsible for most of it. We just rearranged the bedroom, so I understand that angle...I'm glad you are enjoying your time of the year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved decorating for each and every holiday. It is how I taught my son the months of the year. While homeschooling him we would make decoration and of course we included his sister. So while the kids were little, we went to town on home made decorations. We couldn't afford to buy many.

    Then we could afford to buy some and so I decorated with really cool ones for a while. Only darn it, they fall apart easy and before long we are throwing them away.

    During our years as foster parents, it was very very important to decorate for each and every holiday. Our job was to replace bad unhappy memories with new happy ones. Only with all the angry children in our home, many decorations were destroyed long before the holiday arrived. sigh

    Now we at in a new stage, and I don't know where my enthusiasm for decorating has gone, nor am I sure where the decorations are. (darn) That is the ones that have survived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok - you got me thinking and I went hunting for my decorations and found them Plus some I bought at the end of last year on sale that I had totally forgotten, so my boys and I have been stringing orange lights and have our decorations out on the front porch. Looks festive...glad we did it. Thanks for the reminder and mental push.

    ReplyDelete