Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Memories

Many think that writing a book is easy. You have ideas, they get written down, and voila! You have a wonderful new book that will sell in hundreds of stores everywhere.

I never thought this, but I was a bit in lala land when I started. I wasn't sure I could produce a whole novel for one thing. That is a lot of work, and I've never taken my hand at writing anything longer than the short twenty-line poems in junior high, and the awful short stories in High school for assignments. A novel was a challenge. One I was eager to take a hand at.

Truth be told, I thought I'd fail like so many countless others before me. In research before I even started writing, I found out that only .001% of the people who decide to write a book actually finish one. Intimidating odds, so I didn't get my hopes up.

I did however, start a story about a girl and her aunt. Funny, but that is where I began. I knew I wanted a race of magical beings to be in it, and I knew that I wanted this girl to be my main protagonist. The story was written very differently than most. I knew what a summary was, but I was having more fun coming up with things for my characters to do as I walked with them.

Eventually scenes were rearranged, and for convenience's sake, the aunt became a loved cousin. I was surprised that this made much more sense with the characters' relationship. Someone closer to her age was wanted, and the whole 'guardian thing' needed more... 'holes' for lack of a better word. I like holes when they make sense.

I now have a full novel. I have almost two. I say almost because while the second is finished, it is not yet 'finished'. I have ideas about scene changing already and will be going back through it when I have the time.

I am also writing two completely different novels in a younger genre. I am busy busy!

I am pleasantly pleased to find that writing is so much fun for me. I wish I was better at all the fundamentals like grammar and sentence structure. But I AM a good story-teller and I am hoping that will carry me through to at least an editor. In the meantime, Microsoft Word does those little green things to help me with the basics. ;)

Querying a talented agent is next. I have been for a few months now. They prefer exclusive rights to the material and I try to respect that by only sending out one at a time. They take about six to ten weeks to answer. Except one mercifully. I had a rejection in twelve minutes. He likes adventure, but the literary fiction part was a little heavy for him. Opposite of what I got from a woman. She said that the literary fiction part was divine and light, but the adventure was a little to graphic for the romance. I reminded her about Twilight. Yeah, she didn't like that one either, lol.

There is an agent out there that will like mine though. It is NOT Twilight. It is... well very different, but the relationship ends up leading to a lot of problems... I'm sure that sounds familiar in every romance novel! ;)

True love conquers all and in the end there is hope that all that is set before the protagonist will be attainable. Not as easily as if she had done it the preferred way, but she isn't adverse to a little hard work either. At least her choice to love whom she chose is making any hard work involved much more bearable.

A writer I have become. I submit short stories to several contests and websites now. I have won almost all contests and am earning money and small publications. I am an author! Not on the scale I will be when I publish any one of the novels, but it is a start. And I can't be too mad that I am earning money. :D

If any of you want to write, I suggest you look into the publication processes. It is grueling and daunting, and I assure you, not for the faint of heart. If you think you have something that will make it through all that, please, I encourage you to go ahead. It is a wonderful feeling to have someone say they like your work enough to pay you for it.

A short peek into my occupation... I hope you liked it. Thanks to all my readers and even followers. You all rock so much! Post comments and ask me questions. I want to know what you would like to see me blog about on here. I accept requests and respond to most of them. Reading them is my favorite!

Luvs and hugs and have a great day.

....................

2 comments:

  1. That's an awesome post. I like hearing about your journey. Story-telling is much more imnportant as a writer. I'm a proofreader/editor by nature and trade, I think that's why I bombed at being a writer. I'd analyze and edit before the paragraph was finished. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of the hardest things I face. I love to edit my work as much as I love to create it. It's like delving into my characters all over again and fascinating for me!

    I've gotten better at waiting until I've written down everything before going back. But oft times I have just sat there nit-picking away merrily for hours! I am not equipped to catch everything and my skills are poor, but there are fun things to rearrange and always new bits that would be just right here and there. I love to write!

    I think that's great that you are an editor. It sounds fascinating to be able to see work that others do. It must be like new stories with every new assignment! How fun!

    Thanks for stopping by Rachel! It is great to see you here!

    ReplyDelete