Tuesday, December 29, 2009

An author's update

Old Books 2: Chambaud














*Sighs dramatically*

There are far too many ways to write, and when every different agent has their own opinion about how something should be done, it just means more work for us writers.

Im not new to auditioning. Between dance and choir professionally, and band and drama in HS, I have seen and done many auditions. Butterflies are not new and I enjoy the thrill of the performance.

However, I always knew what the person I was auditioning for expected. Poise, grace, fluidity, balance, flexibility, stamina, clarity, and professionalism revolved universally in these worlds.

Querying for prospective agents has absolutely nothing in common with another.

Some prefer a 'blurb only please'; a six sentence teaser for the book you are submitting. Others want that in a query letter that petitions them for their services. While others still want both plus the synopsis, sample chapters, and autobiography as well. This gets more frustrating when the synopsis are preferred in different lengths; one page, two pages, three pages, five pages, ten pages, and even twenty. I now have six synopsis that I pull out and reedit often. It doesn't help that each agent has their own idea of the perfect font for these.

I have even done a few styling changes in by actual novel. Different ways to state things, and how to use proper grammar. Possessive plural proper nouns (say that five time fast!) are quite the annoyance to me! Each agent thinks they know which is right, and many discard a book if it isn't their preferred way. JK Rawlings for Harry Potter got a lot of this. Her Brit way is helps my eyes and looks proper, but a lot of Yanks here want the lesser styling. Book gets edited again....

I do understand the different genres they adore. As in dance and song, there are a multitude of styles that span far and wide. I only query those that I can fit my books into. Though, it can fit into eight or nine of these genres, so I have eighteen different blurbs that I send out. Each one is detailed for the genre of the specific agent I am querying. If adventure, I play up that part. If they prefer romance, the blurb explains that part. Paranormal? Yes, my first book is very diversified. That helps incredibly with the plot, I've found. ;) Much more interesting!

Stephanie Meyers' book is a paranormal romance in an urban fantasy world. See that? Four different genres for Twilight.

My book is similar...

Mmmm...

I regress to say 'similar' as I am quite opposed to vampires, but I have the paranormal romance in a different fantasy world. This will probably be my only romance series as the middle grade fiction I am also writing is much more paranormal adventure. I am diverse! It helps to find more agents and finally get that *first one* published. I am very excited for that to happen.

Aside from making money on the short stories and contests I enter I can't wait to be a novelist. Author for now, Novelist... in progress.

Lots of work ahead of me. *tackles it* I will make this work. Even if I have to rewrite a few books. I am fiercely determined!

Wish me luck! (I am going to need it! *changes font for the eighth time today*)

Sigh. I love writing!

....................

No comments:

Post a Comment