Thursday, November 26, 2009

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!
Growth.
Tastes change... a little food for thought after that food-filled holiday.
-No, real food for thought! ;)

I'm growing and entering another phase of my life. Or so my tastebuds are saying!

Food is interesting. Food is different and varying. It may not change, but preferance toward any one particular food does.

It's fun to notice that I suddenly like something that wasn't very good before. It is an interesting mouthful when my mouth hands me a delicious surprise in an unexpected food source.

I've never really liked chocolate. It tastes burnt to me; all the time, whatever the brand-and I've had some of the best brands in the world thanks to precious friends who are sure its just a brand thing.
I've now had kids... I find I like it once a month and for a few days it doesn't taste as burnt as it does the rest of the month. I prefer Lindt, Swiss, and German chocolates at those times; usually dark, and smooth like mousse; so the inside of truffles. ;)

I used to hate all meat until I was sixteen. Then I only liked corned beef brisket, and it had to be with the cooked cabbage to help with the aftertaste I wasn't used to in meat. I started eating burgers in high school after that. I only liked the ones from the fast food chains... so was that really meat? lol

After having kids, I like lots of meats. Not pig too much as I seem to have an allergy to pork and it makes me sick. Weird, but I prefer turkey bacon anyway; no clear fat posing as meat -its all meat! ;)

Chinese food used to smell like puke to me. No joke, I hated the stuff; I hated to walk by restaurants that sold the stuff!
Now I love it! It is one of my favorite things to eat and I can't seem to get enough of the really good, thick low mein noodles. The best! I also really like the crab puffs with cream cheese and chives. I could eat several of those for dinner only and be very happy!

I still do not like bird. Any kind of bird related animal, it is awful. On turkey day I am not a very happy person when we're gathered around a table of terrible food. Stuffing is too dry and so are the mashed potatoes; thank God for that gravy that goes everywhere!
I still refuse the bird, it isn't salvagable.

I used to love lasagna more than anything in the world. Now I can barely stand it every other month or so. Sometimes I wonder if having kids was the reason everything changed, but the meat came on slowly, so....

I never have and still don't like cake. I'm picky about brownies and any sort of sweet bread. I had some applebread the other day. It was the only time I asked for a second piece. It was homemade and had crumbles on top! Yum!

I do not like any candybar on the market except for the York peppermint patty. I don't like most candy out there, but love hard candy when its made right. I also do not like toppings on my icecream, or sweet icecream... I like the fruit and nut flavors in my sweet vanilla. Pistachio and watermelon and whole strawberries in a suger cone are my favorite.

I love nachos. And mostly all Mexican/Spanish foods! My favorite, mouth watering foods are in this catagory!

I used to love vegetables. Now I like only a handful. I still love salads. Lettuce is usually good everywhere (Chinese food and Spanish etc!) If you can sneak it onto a veggie platter, I always prefer fresh with dip. Yum!

Fresh is always something I enjoy. Platters of fresh fruits and vegetables are always my favorite at gatherings, and, for me, make up for that poor bird each year. :)

I'm pickier now that I've moved away from the midwest. There are no good Chinese food places or suitable Spanish/Mexican food places up here. Since I don't count Taco Bell, I'm really lost. We live next to a farm, but I've found that if you don't eat the food that day, it goes really bad really fast. The fridge doesn't help either... I think they do it on purpose to bring you back everyday. ;)

I do not like soda. The bubbles burn my mouth and throat. In high school I loved it and downed a mountain dew a day. Now my preferred drink is water with a side of strawberry milkshake! Yum!!! Or when I'm cold, French Vanilla hot chocolate. ;)

Cornnuts. A favorite snack from childhood, it is one of the few things that have secured their place in adulthood as well. Too bad they don't sell them back east. ;)

So many different kinds of food out there, it really makes me happy for the variety. I would hate to be stuck with chocolate cake as the only taste out there. Yuck!

And those bad tastes always make me happy when I find a good one again. I like change... until I have lots of eggrolls in the freezer and then decide I don't like them anymore. lol Happened a few times... luckily they last until I decide I like them again! Funny how life works like that.

I must admit that life is like this as well. Different things at different times call to me and then don't later. It is fun to switch back and forth. A little fung shui livens up an otherwise droll living space. Or varying tastebuds ;)

Variety. The tasty spice of... life!

..................

No comments:

Post a Comment