Thursday, November 19, 2009



Giggles are our home's most precious natural resource.

Our schools are trying to force the parents to spend more time with their kids. I'm not sure it is working, but the things they send home in that effort are insane for public school projects.

Our little family is always doing some craft together when we're done with our lessons. Kindergarten changed that for both my girls when the teacher started sending home a two foot by one and a half foot silhouette of that month's special decoration. This month was a giant turkey.

Now the rules to decorate are very simple. You cannot use pencils, colored pencils, pens, markers, crayons, chalk, paint, and are encouraged to use a lot of glue so it withstands hanging in the hall for the rest of the month.

Which begs the question: What exactly can we use?

The same teacher two years in a row, we had to get creative when it came to making individual gobblers for the wall. My children decided they didn't like the macaroni the other kids were doing, and that their precious stickers looked better put in their sticker albums than on the albino turkey paper. Buttons were nice... but "only for the eyes, mommy." was repeated when we went through the button box.

A trip through Walmart for the first year was fun because funds were plenty and the fabric department had the prettiest pink shiny fabric. Child number one had decided she didn't want any old turkey, but a 'pretty princess turkey'. Pink and lavender fabric was the first thing in the cart. Then she found the jewels. It was bedazeled as soon as it was finished being put together.

The second child was given her turkey in a rougher time. The basement had just been ruffled through, and since she wanted a 'fall' turkey, she was very happy with the 'recycled' never-been-used before ribbon that had been sitting in the harvest decorations for years. I was remiss to lose it to a kindergarten creation, but with the way her eyes lit up, there was no refusing. Her masterpiece is her favorite 'pet' and she trotted around the house with it until we had to send it in with her the next school day.

These projects took about six hours each and taught my children new skills. They now had experience with adult scissors, needles and thread and sewing (oh my!), tape, tracing, and the dreaded gluegun. The first was only burned once, but that was all the second needed to see to be able not to repeat that mistake when it came her turn. First was very brave and didn't cry once.

We had so much fun making these precious creations because we were able to do them together. The time spent is something I will cherish forever. I know they will never forget either, and will pull the creation out of whatever box they will end up in when they move out. It will be their precious souvenier and a reminder to make those moments with their children.

We still craft even now. They aren't as extravagant and do include the taboo writing utensils, but the time creating them is why they're made. They may not last like the first ones, but I know that the memories will.

What do you think? Did we do a good job? Do you like the princess boots and pretty frills? The girls ideas were what created these, I only pointed where I thought each tuck and pinch and needle poke should go. They were and are just five years old after all! Toddlers made these, but love designed the smiles next to them.

Do you have any stories like this, or a cherished moment with a parent/guardian/adult? I would love to hear what made you smile and how the event/memory has influenced your life.

Next month will be a Christmas tree. Any ideas for it that I may pass on to my current five-year-old? She only says no to half my suggestions, and I'm sure if it is a great idea, she'll jump at it. Let me know.

.......................

2 comments:

  1. I actually wish they did things like this at my school. The trukeys are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute post. Good job with the crafting and working together too. My first memory of Thanksgiving was in kindergarten too. My classmates and I made elaborate pilgram/Indian costumes. I was crushed because on the day we were to celebrate as a class I got the chicken pox and had to stay home for a week. Your girls will have happier memories! :D

    ReplyDelete